On the occasion of the 3rd EU Macro-Regional Strategies Week, the European House Budapest presented the Shadow Report – The first reflection paper of civil society on EU macro-regional strategies.
The paper was elaborated in response and as complementing document to the 3rd Report from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions on the implementation of EU macro-regional strategies (COM/2020/578 final), providing a bottom-up view on the implementation and potential of macro-regional strategies.
The strength of this initiative lies in bringing together, for the first time, civil society organisations from the 4 macro-regions – giving them the opportunity to work together on the following issues:
- Democracy and values; bottom-up approach, citizens’ ownership; partnership and participation; multilevel governance
- Meeting the citizens, human contacts, confidence-building; tourism
- Covid-19; solidarity; lessons learned; increased integration
- Youth involvement in macro-regional policies
- The Conference on the Future of Europe and its impact on the current legislative term for and by citizens
- Circular economy/sustainable development/green Europe; visions for 2030
- Creativity/inventiveness/ digitalisation/smart solutions
- Non-EU member states; possibility of EU accession
- Communication / presenting macro-regional possibilities
Specific suggestions at the end of each chapter present useful ideas and pave the way for next steps in the implementation of EU macro-regional strategies!
Read the report here!